“A number of our clients have recently reported that criminals are using a new method to commit house robberies or hijackings. The new trend is to either lift electric gates from their rails, damage gate motors or to tie gates closed so that you are forced to get out of your car to open them. Another tactic used is to tamper with your garage door so that it fails to open properly.
When you get out of your car, the assailants will strike and either force you into your house or hijack your vehicle. In the case of a house robbery they will often times wait inside your yard for you to enter and open the garage or front door before making their move.
ADT recommends that clients consider having garden detector beams installed around their properties to alert them to potential dangers.
- If you feel something seems suspicious, call ADT or the SAPS immediately. It is always safer to drive around the block one more time than to put yourself in danger and become a victim.
- Do not stop in front of your gate, if you can, wait in the road for your gate to open before driving in.
- Call ADT at least 20 minutes before you get home to arrange a meet and greet. Our officer will meet you and follow you home to make sure you arrive safely. He will also conduct a security sweep of your yard before he leaves (subject to vehicle availability and activity levels)
- Install a door magnet on your garage door to prevent tampering. If you can, lock your garage doors when not being used.
- If someone is home, ask them to open the gate remotely for you as you arrive.”
(The above was received from ADT)